Thursday, December 30, 2010

Pizza like I remember from pregan days!

BlackBird Pizzeria, Philly

You have to immediately stop what you are doing, (if at work, feign ilness), get someone to care for your pets, and drive/fly/bike/ride the rails to Philly (short for Philadelphia, PA) now and order this pepperoni pizza from Blackbird Pizzeria. You will not regret your decision.

Yes I borrowed this image from a yahoo review. That is because when you are either eating this pizza or even contemplating it, all other thoughts leave your mind. There is no room for things like "I should photograph this". I have no excuse for the polenta I made - because while it was good it wasn't mind blowing.

The location for the restaurant is exactly the same place as a former omni establishment which served both standard and vegan sandwiches and offered vegan treats dessert. Now its 100% vegan and thank the flying spaghetti monster it is! The sausage is from a specialty company in Chicago, and the cheese is a combo of mozzarella and cheddar daiya, and the sauce is really, really, really good. The crust is crisp and if you are an east coaster like me, you will really appreciate it as a re-creation of the pizza you thought you would never have ever again.

For Christmas we got 3 vegan cookbooks, and I'm very excited to start whipping up some delights from them! We got one called fresh & fast vegan pleasures which I hadn't heard of before, a pressure cooking book by Lorna Sass, and Isa's new book Appetite for reduction. The pressure cooking book I wanted because we have a plug-in pressure cooker and I want to use it more often, especially if it will save us time. Also, we want to eat really healthy (I say this as I am eating a candy cane) until the wedding, when we will revert to eating like pigs, as usual. Anyhow, I want good skin for my wedding and I'm hoping - well, after Jan 1 and all the candycanes are gone I can really stick with a skin-friendly plan.

I made the planned dishes and also, an unecpected one. I made the spaghetti squash leek polenta from Vegan Yum Yum with flavor sauce. I don't know what to call it. White sauce? Cheezy Sauce? Its really not that cheezy. I guess its white but white sauce sounds like it tastes boring, which it doesn't. I wouldn't eat the sauce on its own but with the polenta it was quite delicious. I was very happy to have a new way to eat spaghetti squash, and I really liked this even though I'm not too big on plain old polenta. Also we felt healthy for eating this, and it was a good way to clean out our cookie-stuffed bodies. Not that it made us "go", but you get the idea.

I had a request to put root vegetable recipes on the blog. I will definately do so, but right now we have almost no food in the house so we have to do some research and ingredient buying before I can post anything.