Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Sorrel-Caper Tofu

One of the farmers at the farmers market grows sorrel. Its quite good in potato soup, has kind of a lemony tartness to it. J. looked it up in the Joy of Cooking, and lo and behold, due to its high oxalic acid content, its toxic in large doses. Lovely. No mention of how much one would have to consume for it to hurt you though, thanks Joy. Though apparently spinach has the same stuff in it, and Popeye is healthy as a horse, so let's not worry about it.

J. made a variation on one of my favorite ever recipes, lemon-caper tofu, which contained the following:

tofu
Garlic
Nut Yeast
Soy sauce
finely chopped sorrel
capers

It was a very simple recipe, made to taste, which is why no quantities. The tofu was cubed. Would go well over couscous, but being lazy, I ate it on crackers.

I'm in the process of reading my camera's instruction manual. Soon there will be photos!

In other food news, I brought an avocado to work because I purchased it on impulse on Sunday. I read about a pudding made with avocado, raw cacao and raw agave, and thought, hey, I have cocoa pwdr and sugar, I can make that! So I mixed sugar with a teeny bit of hot water to make a simple syrup, then added cocoa powder and half of the avocado. It was super rich and quite yum. Then, against proper common sense, I did the same with the other half. Really, that is way way too much fat to eat in such a short time. My belly was hurting a lot. Plus, the 2nd half tasted much more avocadoey, and I'm not sure if it was the proportions, or just I was getting kind of sick of the pudding. Ugh. Anyhow, I'm over it now.